Wednesday, September 09, 2009

DC = Orientations Day #2 (&1)

Okay, so I'm in Washington CD right now yayyyy! It's Wednesday night, so the night after the first full day here. I'M EXHAUSTED. It's definitely been busy.


Yesterday I woke up at 4am sharp (actually ten minutes of 4 because my clock is fast), and drove to the airport where I met Mira, whom I was flying into Baltimore with. We chatted before we got on the plane, and on the plane, and we have a ridiculous amount of things in common. And not just normal things like we play the same sport or something. Just a few of them are: we have the same piano belt, we both want to hike the appalachian trail at some point, we both sang "I'll make a man out of you" a lot this past summer, we both don't listen to mainstream music, and both our brothers are named after our fathers. (And there is normal stuff too, but the usual stuff is more fun, right?)

We got into DC and met her Uncle Darrel, who was really nice. He took us out to lunch at this cool Mongolian Barbeque restaurant where you pick all the food you want and put it in a bowl (raw meat included) and then they grill it for you right in front of you. Then he took us to the hotel where we ended spending from then until six hanging out in the restaurant there, the lobby, and one kid's room (ending up being a party that had to be broken up). Then we had dinner and talking (blah, blah, blah). And someone said that everyone smokes there, and was encouraging us to smoke, so we took polls on how many people smoked (even though we are all underage). But that's not anything I would ever do, legally or not. After that we did some crazy icebreaker thing where I ended up having to tell three people I had a crush on them, roll in the grass, sing the ABCs, and dance with someone. Then we watched Goodbye, Lenin, which was okay, but probably wouldn't have been my movie of choice. (Obviously after this came sleep because of exhaustion, and that is why this is all in one post.)

Today I got a wake up call at 6:30, yayyy, not. Oh, and my roommate is Tess and she's pretty nice. I thought they were going to try and cram us like four to a room, but, nope, there's only two to a room which is cool. Oh, and she's also a lifeguard which is neat. Anyways, we got all dressed up because today we have to go to all this governmental stuff. First was the Department of State, which became really repetitive (which Melvin and I were trying to figure out in Spanish but could not, so if you know, let me know!). And that was really long, so after that we had lunch at union station. I wandered around with a few other kids for a bit, then we were we like "let's go to this America place", but then we walked by at it looked expensive (we had a 7 dollar budget), so we walked down to the food court. After walking the longer way so we could take the escalator (because as everyone knows escalators are amazing) this guy offered us free tastes of this chicken salad sandwich and it was reallly good. So we got that and it came with free ice cream, yum! (Which reminds me, I owe um, Brittany?, a dollar because I didn't have a wallet, I'll have to give her that in the morning). 

After lunch we went to the German Embassy which was in this really cool building (that I didn't take any pictures of... whoops). We watched a video and got some free stuff (which is actually bad, seeming as our luggage has a weight limit). Once done with that we drove to Union Station again where we had from 4-6 (but not really because we got there after 4) to meet with our representatives (actually for most people, like me, interns for those representatives) and then to hang out in the mall (and I don't mean a shopping mall) for the rest of the time. My meeting was like 3 minutes long, and then I hung out with some kids at a garden in front of the botanical gardens for the majority of time (basically until we had to walk back). When we walked back to Union Station, we took our shoes off to walk through the grass like hippies because a few people's feet hurt and it was fun. 

We had dinner at the Café Mozart, which is a German restaurant, and I had a nice beef goulash. After dinner we came back to the hotel (which is really nice!), and I hung out in Mira and Silvia's room for a bit, and had tea (Silvia brought some nice mint tea that she shared). Then Mira and I went out and sat in front of the elevators and made friendship bracelets. Which afterwards I came back here and eventually started writing this. It is now 11:57pm. I get to get up at 7, yayyy. 

tschüss,
em

La Canción: I'll Make a Man Out of You from Mulan. For Mira and my weird connection of it, and even after that some of the guys singing it during dinner on the first day.

0 comments: